Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top 5 Aussie books

For some reason, conceiving a top 5 for Australian literature has more weight to it than conceiving a top 5 for myself. Must be the burden of the home country: particularly one that is still under colonial rule.

1. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. An Australian epic. Although I still prefer his collection of short stories titled The Turning. The guy wrote his first book when he was 19 at university. At 52 he already has an unfathomable oeuvre.

2. An Imaginary Life by David Malouf, the most underrated of all Australian writers for mine. A cut at Ovid's exile in Tomis from the Roman empire executed with brilliant simplicity, respect and modernity (somehow). You can't go wrong with Remembering Babylon (winner of Dublin Lit Award, Prix Baudelaire) and Johnno (bildungsroman) by the same author.

3. To a more overrated Australian author (now deceased): Patrick White. Probably because he won the Nobel Prize for Literature, the only Australian-born citizen to do so. I tried reading The Vivisector one time without success. I want to read Voss (his other best, supposedly) or The Tree of Man.

4. A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (2008). Another one I have not read, but judging from the reviews and reception, this book will become a firm member of the Australian canon.

5. ? No clear winner for this spot. A bunch of potentials. Time will tell.

5 comments:

  1. # 5 "Seven Little Australians" by Ethel Turner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I actually read no Australian literature (well, Patrick White, but that was so long ago I can barely remember)? I am appropriately embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is going to be way out of left field, but what about "Obernewtyn" by Isobelle Carmody? Maybe it's just because it's my favourite Australian book ever. Then again, maybe it won't be considered real literature.

    In terms of literature, I'm not a big fan of the great tomes a la Tim Winton, but LOVE Cristos Tsolkis's "Loaded" - it's gay, it's greek, it's fast. I also loved "The Secret River" by Kate Grenville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister teaches Australian literature, and has made some suggestions I'm not so familiar with "Alexis Wright, Christos Tsiolkas. Honey Brown... anyone but Tim Winton!" might be some future reading ideas

    ReplyDelete